I am sure you all know biscotti! Well, who doesn’t!?
In Morocco we also have biscottis, they’re usually made with almonds and raisins but the rule is, really, there are no rules! Right?
So since it’s the holiday season I thought we will use pistachios and dried cranberries, because they don’t only look super festive and cute but they are also very tasty!
These guys make the perfect edible holiday season present. This recipe is so easy you can literally make about 100 biscottis in one hour and voila! The perfect way to make your friends and family happy!
Fekkas – Moroccan Biscotti
Makes 45 biscottis
- 3 eggs
- 200 gr caster sugar
- 250 gr plain flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- 100 gr dried cranberries
- 100 gr unsalted shelled pistachios
- 100 gr roasted almonds
- Zest of a lemon
- 100 gr white chocolate, melted (for decoration, optional)
- Sprinkles (for decoration, optional)
• Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F).
• In a large bowl, use an electric whisk to mix together the eggs and the sugar until thick and foamy.
• In a another large bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients (except the white sugar and sprinkles), and stir in the eggs and sugar mixture. Combine all the ingredients together.
• Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces.
• Wet your hands and roll each piece into a cylinder with a diameter of 3 cm.
• Place the rolls on a lined baking sheet leaving at least 5 cm between each of them.
• Place in the warm oven for 30 to 35 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
• Reduce the temperature’s oven to 150 C (300 F).
• Once the rolls have cooled down and firmed up, slice them on the diagonal into 1 cm thick slices.
• Place the biscottis on a lined baking tray and bake again for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
• Allow the biscottis to cool before serving. Store the biscottis in an air-tight container to prevent them from drying out.
• Once the biscottis are completely cool, dip them partially in white chocolate and shake off the excess chocolate. Decorate with sprinkles and place the biscottis on a baking sheet lined with silicon paper. Refrigerate until the chocolate is firm, about 20 minutes.
• Directions to melt the chocolate: chop the chocolate, place the chocolate and a few drops of water in a microwave-safe bowl stopping and stirring at 15 second intervals until smooth and creamy.