Last weekend was great, the sun was out all over London and the weather was slightly crisp. I love these February days in London when I still have to wear layers of clothes but somehow I can’t leave the house without my sunglasses. This put me in such a good mood that I decided to cook something summery and by that I mean, light and colourful!
Remember the fennel and orange tagine I made last year? This tagine was so tasty and delightful, it made me love fennel even more! Ever since, I’ve been thinking about a potential fennel and orange salad but I never actually made it. I finally found the inspiration to make it last weekend to celebrate the sunny and crisp days ahead of us.
I tried to keep the salad pretty simple to preserve the taste of the shaved fennel and orange segments; I added plenty of herbs, a bit of red onions and walnuts. Simple, light and full of flavours.
I paired my salad with traditional Moroccan chicken kebabs (or skewers). The kebabs are flavoured with plenty of garlic, turmeric and powdered ginger.
The salad and the kebabs work perfectly together, I recommend having it with some couscous or quinoa if you are hungry. So let the sun shine in your kitchen and get cooking!
Moroccan Chicken Kebabs
- 500 gr boneless chicken breast
- Juice of a lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic, about 2 cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ ground black pepper
• Slice the chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks and transfer in a large bowl.
• Add the rest of the ingredients and mix together giving them a good stir.
• Cover the bowl and place in the fridge to marinate for 2 to 24 hours.
• When ready to serve, thread the pieces of chicken onto skewers.
• Put a pan (or a chargrilled pan) on high heat and wait for it to become very warm.
• Place the skewers on the pan and cook for 5 minutes on each side, turning every now and then to get nice and golden on all sides. Serve warm.
Orange and Fennel Herb Salad
- 2 large fennel bulbs (600 gr)
- 2 oranges, segmented
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 80 walnuts, roughly chopped
- 20 gr fresh mint leaves
- 30 gr fresh coriander roughly torn
- 30 gr fresh parsley roughly torn
For the dressing
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
• Discard the stalks and the dill from the fennel bulbs and very finely slice the fennel bulbs (use a mandolin if you have one). Transfer the sliced fennel in a large salad bowl.
• Segment the oranges. Segmenting oranges is a lot of fun, take a look here. (Keep the juice you retained from the oranges for another recipe or just drink it, you won't need it for this recipe)
• Add the orange segments, red onions, walnuts, mint leaves, coriander and parsley to the sliced fennel.
• In a small bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients together until smooth.
• When ready to serve, pour the dressing over the salad. Gently toss everything together and serve immediately.