Happy first day of fall my friends! Or is it the last day of summer? Anyway, it’s a happy day because fall is happening whether we like or not! For me, fall marks the beginning of the comfort food season and opens the door for more festive meals.
I know, we still have a good 4 to 5 weeks before we start discussing pumpkin pie cupcakes, stuffing and roasted turkey but it’s definitely the end of the salad-only-carb-free meals don’t you think? Personally, I’ve been struggling to keep up with salad only meals lately, I need my carbs, oh well!
So to celebrate fall I came up with this burger filled with super tasty chermoula grilled chicken and my gourmet version of coleslaw. It’s very comforting and satisfying but completely guilt free and so easy to prepare!
If the “back to school season” is being harsh on you, scroll down and check this recipe because it will for sure cheer you up!
Chermoula Chicken Burger + Harissa and Orange Coleslaw
Chermoula Grilled Chicken
- 600 gr skinless chicken fillets (or 4 large skinless chicken breasts)
- 1 cup chermoula
• In a large bowl transfer the chicken and add the chermoula. Mix and place in the fridge until ready to grill the chicken. Meanwhile prepare the coleslaw.
Harissa and Orange Coleslaw with Toasted Almonds
- Zest of 3 oranges
- 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons double cream
- 1 small shallot finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons mild harissa or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- ½ teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1 medium head green cabbage, shredded
- 4 large carrots, shredded
- 100 gr toasted almonds
• In a large bowl transfer all the ingredients except the cabbage, carrots and almonds. Stir all the ingredient until smooth to make the dressing.
• Toss in the shredded cabbage, carrots and toasted almonds. Adjust the seasoning if necessary. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- 4 warm toasted buns
- Lettuce leaves
- Anything you fancy such as cheese, tomato slices, red onion rings, sliced gherkins etc.
• Preheat a large chargrilled pan (or barbecue) and place the chicken fillets. Cook on each side for 3 to 4 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken.
• Assemble your burgers with anything you fancy and 2 to 3 tablespoons of harissa and orange coleslaw.
• I prefer to use small chicken breasts fillets (pictured) as opposed to large ones because the small ones will absorb more marinade and as consequence will be tastier.