This salad is the most common and basic salad in Moroccan cuisine.
The simplicity of the ingredients allows the salad to go with many dishes. In Morocco, it is usually served as a side salad next to tagines or grilled foods.
It’s very refreshing and healthy, perfect for sunny days!
I like to add a teaspoon of honey to this salad when the tomatoes I use are not naturally sweet enough. In Morocco tomatoes have a natural sweet and pungent taste, unfortunately, it is not always the case in London!
Moroccan tomato and cucumber salad
- 1 large onion finely chopped (200 gr)
- 6 medium sized tomatoes (400 gr), seeded and chopped in 1/2 cm cubes
- 1 medium sized cucumber (400 gr), seeded and chopped in 1/2 cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
• In a bowl combine all the ingredients together and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
• Adding a bit of honey to the salad balances the acidity and gives a very light and sweet taste to the salad.